Saturday 15 March 2014

A Soldiers Banquet

Good Morning, 
The following modern poem, I would like to dedicate to all those serving away from home. I have the pleasure of being pen-pals with a few serving soldiers and one thing is a common denominator, in all of my communications with them… The loss they feel while away and the internal conflict they feel each day while facing unknown dangers. 
I wish to thank them for all they sacrifice to keep us safe in our beds. So, to all have served and are serving away on active duty. I dedicate this to you. Know you are thought of. xxx 



A Soldiers Banquet.

Far away from my touch.
My caress, my essence you toil.
Through dust and extremes.
In the noise and grime with only your will.

In the moments of fear.
Where fools rush in and panic prevails.
Those ones who have your back and trust.
And those foot steps you dread to take.

The letters you cherish, the smell of home.
Nights when you linger in slumber.
Holding on to your memories in the darkness.
Craving the privacy of a normal day.

Token pictures smile down on you.
Before you brave the day you bid them farewell.
The order around that surrounds you, your need.
It keeps you alive and helps you to survive.

While we wait and watch and continue.
The days drag to months and soon to end.
The moment you return and tell.
Of your soldiers banquet.


By Helen Stallard
March 15, 20014


No comments:

Post a Comment