Monday 31 March 2014

Solitary Island

Good Evening, 
I am a little late posting today and yesterday I missed my post as I was ill… Apologies.

Let's see if you can work out what this poem is about. 

Enjoy. 

Solitary Island

One solitary island.
Alone in this vast sea.
Silent ships passing by,
The only friends for me.


Once I was a fertile place,
Of movement, life and sound.
I’m now rocky, dry and barren,
0ther islands they have found.

I miss the playful banter,
Of them dancing in the surf.
Foraging across my beach
And digging in my earth.

Each pebble here upon my shore,
Tells a story of its own,
A saga of love, a testament.
Of occupants now flown.

I whisper every night to them.
Send that message in the waves.
A sleepy message filled with love
To this secret island’s babes.

So I sit here contemplating,
On how things do not last.
I think on them and all they are,
Enjoying memories of the past.

One solitary island.
Alone in this vast sea.
Contemplating… Musing,
On how alive I used to be.

By Helen Stallard

March 31, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment