Friday 14 March 2014

Dad


Hello Friends,
Today's poem is an old one. Some 27 years old infact. I lost my Dad at the tender age of 19 and the impact on my life was profound. I wrote this in the ensuing months, as I struggled through my grief. 

Dad

Skipping beside you
I was in awe
Could never find
No crack nor flaw
My one perfect giant
Towering and strong
A Loving father
In my hearts song


But life was cruel
And I could not see
The twisted turns
In-store for me
You tried to teach
Worked so hard
But life dealt us
The cruelest card


It took you away
Before I was grown
In one sad day
I felt so alone
I couldn’t conceive
In my grieving mind
Your dying thoughts
When left behind


Then my eyes cleared
Seeing through the mist
That leaving me then
Was never your wish
It pains my soul
That you’ll never see
With all you flaws
You were perfect to me.

By Helen Stallard

March 14, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment